Rutgers University Golf Course, Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking an Assistant Greens Superintendent for Institutional Planning and Operations (IP&O). Under the broad direction of the Greens Superintendent, the Assistant Greens Superintendent serves as the number two supervisor, and in the absence of the Greens Superintendent, acts in his/her place.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Supports the day-to-day operation of all phases of golf course maintenance, renovation, and construction.
- Trains and supervises maintenance crew and equipment to accomplish the daily workload.
- Identifies any problem areas on the golf course and informs Greens Superintendent.
- Supports the maintenance of accurate records in regards to compliance with NJDEP, REHS, and any other university or governmental agency.
- Participates in the proper application of all herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides and records all data regarding applications.
- Participates and/or oversees the aeration of fairways, greens, and tees as needed.
- Supports and participates in a successful irrigation program that conserves water, schedules all irrigation applications, and adapts to the changing weather conditions for the season.
- Oversees all preventative maintenance and repairs on equipment.
- Works closely with the Greens Superintendent to ensure successful planning and execution from the maintenance department for all internal and external events, discuss daily and emergency grounds maintenance and discuss monthly, yearly and multi-year goals for the golf course and the Practice & Teaching Facility.
- Responsible for assisting the Greens Superintendent in all facets of the turfgrass operations.
- Supervision of the maintenance crew, training and direction of the crew on proper operation of equipment, golf course asset management, irrigation management and oversight and implementation of any golf course improvement projects.
- Graduate of a two or four year turfgrass management school with a certificate in Turfgrass Management or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Must have current NJ Pesticide License or obtain one within 90 days of first day of employment.
- Use of personal vehicle in order to travel for business demands; a valid driver’s license would be required for this position.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that will be used to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals and groups that includes students, staff, customers, golf committees and University management.
- Computer skills in most Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Able to read and interpret diagnostic data from various tests conducted on soil, water, etc.
-Proficient use of riding/walking mowing equipment, pick-up trucks, tractors, and loaders.
- Ensures quality and cleanliness standards which includes, but is not limited to, employee hygiene and uniforms, equipment repair and storage areas, chemical and fertilizer areas, lunch room areas, restrooms, etc.
- Must enjoy and have knowledge of the Rules of Golf.
-Knowledge of contemporary agronomy and turfgrass management practices.
- A thorough understanding of the rules and strategies of the game of golf.
- Knowledge of current local, state and federal laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations which includes, but is not limited to, employment, safety and environmental standards, laws and regulations.
- The successful candidate will take an active role in continuing educational opportunities such as seminars, community outreach and trade shows.
- Certification and a member in good standing with the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America.
- Experience with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the creation of blog posts.
- Experience with USGA Performance Management Tool and development/involvement in the Audubon Society.
- Good command of the Spanish language.
- Proficient use of riding/walking mowing equipment, pick-up trucks, tractors, and loaders.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs independently and fulfill physical requirements of the position.
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, and mornings, and evenings, as business and course conditions demand.
- Clean Driving Record
Rutgers offers a comprehensive benefits program to eligible employees. For details, please go to http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview.
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
All applicants MUST apply through this link: